Wednesday, August 31, 2005

trucking

Ok so when my wife reads this she'll freak but that's ok because she loves me. If it works out and we can help this can be my birthday present from her to me.
I was talking with some buddies at work and we all mentioned we wish we could help with out the assistance of corporate crap doing the foot work, you know I'm all about grassroots movements. I called a truck rental place about donating a truck to haul donations down south. Long story short I'm going to talk to the guy tomorrow morning.
So how can you guys help? I need the names of southern Churches of Christ that we could deliver this stuff too. FEMA says to not just drive down and with a truck full of goods so I figured that I could skirt that issue if I had a destination. You guys might have traveled those roads a bit more than me and might know some church contact info near those areas. I know Chuck might have some lines of the P-cola area and that could be a destination but frankly I'd like to head into the abyss to deliver goods, if the whole thing works out.
Let me know what you think or if you have any leads on churches in need.

8 comments:

JS said...

the faulkner chorus goes to NO, or has in the past, they may know churches nearby, i do not

bigsip said...

Here is the one we used to go to on chorus tours:

Church of Christ
(504) 947-2598
3644 Louisa St
New Orleans, LA 70126

Don't know if you can contac them or not right now, but this is the church Amelia Meek grew up at. She and her sister's (Ashley) folks still live there as far as I know.

JS said...

considering the fact that thugs are looting walmarts for the guns only, holding up hospital supply trucks at gunpoint, and shooting at resue helicopters, i think the best way you can help is to donate time or money to the local red cross...

cool thing i saw on TV today, a bunch of hicks were caravaning their airboats down the highway to NO, my dad used to have one of those boats he used when duckhunting in swamps

bigsip said...

We are planning to donate to RC. I would say your thoughts are good, Mullins, but consider your safety. It's very unstable right now. Just donate and let those who are trained for dangerous situations go help.

bigsip said...

And it appears that stupid, uneducated, amoral human beings are looting and pillaging. These attributes are not race-specific or confined to socio-economic boundaries. Humans do evil; even the best of us.

mullinz8 said...

Don't worry, the guy who I had asked about donating a truck said he couldn't. I guess I'll just watch it on the tube.

JS said...

" These attributes are not race-specific or confined to socio-economic boundaries."

Generally speaking, you are right, but ive yet to see any footage of middle class whites doing any of this in new orleans...

bigsip said...

tru dat, bro...the folks committing the crimes there are naturally gonna be your poorer, stupider people. just throwing some discussion fodder out there.