Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The second is like unto it...

Should I love my users?

I have about 300 computers, and maybe 100 - 150 users (not counting the students).

Should I protect them, and shield them? I guess I do that with my email filters and firewall, but do I do it because I love them or because I want as few problems FOR ME as possible? I submit that it is for the latter.

Most of the users here are so nice to me. In fact, most are so nice that it sickens me, and annoys me ("...for in so doing you will reep hot coals upon their heads"). So I try to avoid them.

They may all think that I love them. Why? Because when they email me with a problem; whether it is big or small, I RUSH to get it done. For them? No. For me. To get it out of the way and off my plate. They exclaim "Bot, that was fast." and I hear them brag about how fast I solve problems for them.... but it is FOR ME!

In fact, I cant think of any user that I ENJOY helping. Well, there is a new 3rd grade teacher that is very hot. I hope she doesn't need too much help, but there again, it would be for selfish reasons that I would enjoy helping her. The band director is a cool guy, but I enjoy just talking to him, and not helping him. Funny thing is that the people who require the most of me, I like to avoid contact with and the people who are nicest to me I like to avoid contact with. But I enjoy being around the people who are right there in the middle. Nice enough for me to think "okay, they enjoy my company and arent being fake" and need help with real problems and not the "Yahoo is down" problems.

I have no friends at work. By my design. In fact, the only friends I have ever had at any job were friends that worked there before I started working there. I guess I make it a point not to make friends with co-workers. I want a seperation from work and play. I dont go to xmas parties at peoples homes for work events. I dont go to birthday celebrations in the break rooms for co-workers. I dont sit in the break room and eat food with others when the PTO has brought food. I take it to my room.

Am I a hermit? I like people. All of you know that. At church, I buzz around all over the place talking to people. At social events outside of work (weddings, funerals), I meet new folks and get to know them.

As Jerry S once said (okay, he said it alot) "What's the deal...?"

21 comments:

mullinz8 said...

I think you have found a nice balance. I have a couple of good friends here and several folks that I'm cordial with but outside of that I would really rather not deal with or see most of these folks. If getting your work done quickly makes people think you're doing them a special service by all means allow them to keep thinking that. It's sort of like keeping a secret identity, you're doing good but no one really knows who you are and what your true motives are.

tnmommieof2 said...

most of the folks i work with are just that. folks i work with. but there are a couple of tellers that i would actually call friends. i guess it comes with working so closely with one another. but it's only with tellers. the loan side has their own set of cliques and friends. they don't converse with us "lowly tellers" unless they have to. and the bank wouldn't run without us!!

bigsip said...

I don't blame you for the professional division. I do the same thing. I am nice ot my co-workers and others who work here, but I draw a distinct line when it comes to relationships. First off, I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea. Just like you don't want to be over-exposed to the pretty 3rd grade teacher. I also feel like it's easy to be compromised and choose sides if you get too friendly with any one or group of people. Objectivity is important.

lilsip said...

I am very close with my co-worker. In fact, I like to bite his toes and make him chocolate milk.

bigsip said...

Hey, what about me? I don't get my toes nibbled! Of course, there are other "French" benefits...

JS said...

Rachels comment was cute, until SIpper commented on it

bigsip said...

Yes, i am the Ruiner!

JS said...

Capital R even?

Diana said...

I believe you were thinking Fringe benefits, Sipper. Don't you people watch Sports Night?
Or were you talking about kissing?
And what's so wrong with Co-worker mingling. I mean, hello!!! I would not be Mrs. Stubbs, I would simply be Miss Pigg and you folks wouldn't know me. And I would not be leaving in two days to go to Alabamer.
Besides, I love my co-workers. I mean, it's all girls, so when we don't have any customers we just talk about our body image and feelings and we pump eachother up. It's the best ego boost. I've learned a lot from them, too.

JS said...

different with you though... your coworkers see you and say "Hi Di! How was your night?"

Mine see me and say "I have a problem, help!"

My coworkers dont see me as a fellow human, they see me as a problem fixer. 2% of the employees here see me and say hi, or how ya doing... and dont ask me for something... the rest do.

So when I see coworkers, I identify them with work and trouble. When you see yours, they do exactly what you do, so you can identify with each other.

Diana said...

Well, that's just rude they don't say hi first.

What's cool about my coworkers by Diana Stubblefield.

I hated high school. Lots of people judged me, I judged back. What's so cool about my coworkers is that they are really different from me, but we've been able to learn from eachother. For instance one of my managers had a son die a year ago. She is so inspiring and strong. One other girl is absolutley gorgeous and so I automatically say "bimbo." Nope. She's THE sweetest person there and is a member of PETA. For all the right reasons.

Were you frustrated with me, Jamison? I'm sorry if I seemed unsympathizing.

JS said...

frustrated? Not at all! In fact, you helped me realize why i dont like the people I work with... the sight of them makes me think of work because when they see me, all they want from me is help... i guess in a way, i look at them as selfish people (even though thats my job; someone has a problem, i fix it)...

mullinz8 said...

DI, he's not frustrated with you in fact you helped cement him in the ability to rationalize why he will continue to not want to have anything to do with these people. You're pushing him to get to know people and in turn, the Jamison way, he was able to take that and twist it to help him not get to know people. That's so Jamison.

Diana said...

So there's no give and take?

JS said...

Suda-psychiatry with a twist of ridiulosity, thats so Mullins...

Di, you are about the most un-frustrating person on the planet to me. You are so 'bubbly' and upbeat, and you are genuine too. The most annoying thing on earth is non-genuine bubblbility. I once bought non-genuine bubbles and when I peeled the label off, it said "Dawn dishwashing detergent" under there!

Let it be written that I am the first person to coin the phrase "bubblbility"

JS said...

make that psudo... sorry

bigsip said...

Pseudo-Jamison...I was using "French" as a double-entendre, Di. I know it's "fringe" benefits, like you get insurance at work, etc. I was making an ill-received funny...tee hee...

Diana said...

Tee he! Thank you Jamison!!!! That's my ego boost for the day! :) That and the fact I did better on my Spanish test this morning then I thought I would.
Josh, isn't Brew the one that gets French benefits. Get it, because he went to France with his wife... you see, Josh, that's funny because.... (that's so Charlie)

bigsip said...

LOL...s'funny! s'cute! you made me laugh and brightened my day...

mullinz8 said...

It would have been perfectly Charlie if you had been able to wink and nudge someone with you elbow before feigning a tongue kiss and enacting anal raping your closest male friend or at least dry humping your leg. That my friend, that, that would have been so Charlie.

Mat Brewster said...

I have a few work "friends". I dont hang out with any of them afterhours, but I enjoy talking with them while at work, and we even go to lunch and what not from time to time.

As far as wanting something most of the people I deal with want something from me. Either my bos telling me what to do, or reps asking for help. But I try to find time here and there to joke around and get to know them as people as well. Although I now realize, as I type this, that my "friends" are the other supervisors who do what I do and therefore don't ask me to do anything