Thursday, August 25, 2005

hairy situation

Well it’s pretty quiet these days around the old blogging hole so I’ll fill the gap with a realization I had recently. This past Friday Jules and I went to her 10 year reunion and I have to say all together it was pretty fun. The graduating class of 1995 from Madisonville HS was around 100 folks and there were maybe that many that showed up including the spouses. Summer casual was the dress code and that means that I wanted to look nice but casual and debated leaving the house without a coat. I should have followed my instincts a bit closer because when we did show up not only was I relieved that I didn’t wear a coat but I was the only one who had on a tie. One guy showed up in shorts and a t-shirt forcing me to realize that for once in my life I was indeed over dressed. So we walked in and Jules saw several folks she knew and started to gab away as the evening began. I got the chance to talk to a few folks before too long and asked what they did. Outside of a salon I have never come across a larger collection of hair dressers and stylists in my life. In my graduating class more than double my wife’s I never knew anyone that ever dreamed of becoming a hair dresser. Even at my reunion I never came across anyone in this field who just happened upon it. It must be something about smaller towns that makes this the highest aspiration someone can tangibly reach for without having to push the imagination. One of Jules friends was working as a civilian, communications, IT tech with the USAF out of Tampa and another was about to begin her masters work in PR or politics after having worked for the Mayors office in Chicago and there were a few other folks who seemed to be doing pretty good but with all the stylists and insurgency force could have accomplished a successful coupe de ta locking the rest of the guests in the hall until everyone had a wash, cut and curl. I go to a barber and pay a total of $9 for my hair cut and I know hair technicians can make really good money I just thought it was strange almost 1/10th of the guests had all chosen the same career path.

14 comments:

Charlie said...

That is weird. I have nothing else to add.

Diana said...

I wonder if they were all talking about eachother behind their backs...."did you SEE Debbie's highlights????"

tnmommieof2 said...

lol di...ah yes..the aspirations of the largest party throwing, h**l raising, pregnant before graduating class in all of monroe county....needless to say i didn't really fit in....at the reunion or otherwise...

Diana said...

Sure you didn't go to high school with me??? I didn't exactly fit in either. I don't fit in with the world.... I don't know if I'll go to my HS reunion... well maybe out of curiosity...

Mat Brewster said...

I wasn't invited to my high school reunion. Even though my folks have moved 8 million times since I graduated, they have actually maintained the same phone number.

Not that I would have gone.

Just before the reunion I did see one of the preppy girls that I went to school with at a sandwich shop. She seemed as snobby as ever, and I realized I have absolutely no desire to see any of those folks again.

bigsip said...

I didn't make my HS reunion either. I still see some folks from time to time, but only by accident. I hated HS, man.

Diana said...

I did too. I still see a lot of people from high school becasue I still live here and people go in the mall or something. I just hate making small talk with them, because I'm very different now.

kermitgrn said...

My 10th reunion sucked…other than seeing a friend I could have gotten up with anytime I wanted anyway, the most "interesting" thing was this guy that was in my homeroom. He was wearing a halter top and miniskirt decorated in patriotic red, white and blue sequins.

bigsip said...

Guess "he" changed to "she"?

JS said...

i made it to my 10 year last summer, it was fun.. there were a handful of folks I didnt say a word to (i graduated with 40... 50 including spouces came). It was fun I suppose, but I could have lived if I never went.

JS said...

FYI the cafe was born 11 years ago this month....

bigsip said...

Wow! 11 years! That's awesome. Doesn't seem that long/seems like an eternity, if that makes any sense.

JS said...

"The last time I got naked in front of a woman she screamed and yelled... then the bus driver told me to get off the bus"

bigsip said...

LOL! You vewy funny GI!