Friday, August 12, 2005

Blogging

We've been doing a great job of blogging, guys and ladies. I had over a hundred messages in my box from the blog today, and that' only two days worth of not being checked! I think we have certainly proved we can keep up with the blogging.

My question now, is what do we want to do with it? Pretty much we have simply moved our e-mailing to move into blogland. We have each added a few new flourishes with reviews, stories, news commentaries and that is excellent. But for the most part we're just rattling off bits of personal information about ourselves. Not that this is bad, for I am perfectly fine with this. But, we originally created the blog as a precursor to some webzine.

The blog can be manipulated in small ways to combine certain types of material together. On my blog I have links to lists of my movie and book reviews. We could create categories for Jamisons reviews, Josh's stories, Mullins' conspiracies and what not if we like.

I guess I'm just curious if we still want to try for a web zine or not. It seems we're doing pretty good at the blogging concept, and I'm interested in taking it a step further and making it something for the public. Not necessarily now, but let's put in some feedback as to where we are going.

9 comments:

lilsip said...

What are some examples of what you would consider a successful webzine? This might help narrow down (or expand) the possibilities for a Midnight Cafe zine.

By the way, could somebody with edit privileges add my blog to the links list? It's lilsipcafe.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Mat Brewster said...

Alright, so before we got the blog me and the boys had this big discussion of pulling our creative resources into something. A webzine was discussed, but then it was determined that we are all slackers and would never actually pull it off.

Eventually we decided to try a blog to see if we could actually get together on something more than e-mail. And we have.

The zine idea is easily expanded to all the members of the blog and we can make it anything you would like.

Originally the idea was to do various entertainment reviews, discussions on politics/religion/philosophy, short stories, photography and everything creative.

You have a blog! Why was I not informed? I added it to the blogroll just now.

Mat Brewster said...

Oh, and everyone has full admin capabilities now. So do as you like.

bigsip said...

I think it's time to take this to the next level! We just need to decide how we want to do it. If we really want to do a webzine, we'll need webspace and will need a simple way to take the articles and pics and stuff and put them on there. I think it could be very cool!

bigsip said...

Looking back at your post, Brew, I noticed that you said something about using the blog like a webzine. That would be very cool! Is it possible? How do we do it? Do y'all think that would be best, or would creating another site be better? I am just wondering. I'm really open to whatever at this point. I'd just like to get it organized into categories and go from there. We'll all need to stay on-topic for a webzine to work and go more for journalistic/literary work than online diary/conversation as we have been. What do y'all think?

Mat Brewster said...

The blog will always work like a blog in that any new post goes to the top, bringing previous posts down. You can create links in the sidebar that would link to all of our posts about a specific subject. Say religion.

A link on the sidebar could be created to go to a master page about all of our religion discussions.

There is also a way to create a master post that stays stuck to the very top of the blog. Like a sticky note. Supoosedly we could use that like a main page. I havne't the slightest idea how to do it though.

If we dig we could keep using the blog to pass info to each other, and create another real webpage for the zine.

Or

We could create another blog, create a snazzy main page on it and use it to link over to this blog where we would create all the content.

bigsip said...

We could also create a snazzy main page as a "real" web page and link back to this blog for content. That way, we could design it to specs and slowly bring stuff from the blog over to it if we so choose. Any other ideas? Anyone? Beuler?

kermitgrn said...

You mean like on religious discussion that ended up going down the toilet? I personally am happy with just keeping up with everyone. But, I've said it before. It's hard to follow. I'm sure I've missed tons of stuff, by not going back to check old blog threads.

bigsip said...

Yeah, it's really hard to know what's going on unless you check it every day. It's hard to do that, too. Of course, I just check it in the morning at work before we get going and in the afternoon when it slows down. And I check it in-between, too:). Helps break up the monotony.