Friday, August 19, 2005

Babies and Balding

Squeezing two posts into one here....
Just got back from the hospital. Ryan had a baby! Well, his wife did. It was really amazing because I was standing outside the delivery room with his parents and her parents. I didnt hear any grunts or anything like than. Then, out of no where, you hear this child crying and screaming! It was amazing! I've never heard a birth live before!

Then, after all the pictures were taken and junk, I am standing out in the hall and Ryans father in law, a man I have spoken two complete sentences to (or less) in my life, nudges me in a jovial (correct my spelling please if need be) way and says "Hey, I think that baby has more hair than you do!" And laughs...

To which I do not laugh, roll my eyes and look away...

WHAT IS IT ABOUT ME?!?!?!

I soon there-after left, without saying much to anyone. But what is it about me that makes virtual strangers comfortable enough with me to feel like they can joke on me about that. I wish I had, like, a deformed hand or something so they could at least make fun of that...

So first one of my wifes cousins who I dont know, now my friends father in law who I dont know.... WHOS NEXT?

I got back to my truck and looked in the mirror and I was thinking "yeah, im balding, but it really doesnt look that bad!" I dont get it, i suppose i should have turned around and joked on him about the big mole on his nose...

5 comments:

bigsip said...

Man, I've said it before and I'll say it again. You, sir, are as good-looking as they come. Personally, I think your hair looks great! Why do people have to be such jerks, though? The guy is probably insecure about himself or something. I think the next time someone says something to you about balding, just drop your pants and say, "Well, at least I'm not hung like a squirrel!" That's what I do.

JS said...

you got a giggle out of me my friend... thanks!

Mat Brewster said...

Ouch! If you are like me you look ok whle standing normal, but from above the baldness shows right threw. When I look at the top of my head I see a lot of scalp.

I think that along with fatness, baldness is something people just think they can poke fun of. Baldness even more so than fatness. It's like there are a lot of jovial bald guys that don't mind the poking, so everyone thinks that any balding fellow thinks its fun.

But hey, its only hair right?

kermitgrn said...

He was excited about the birth of a grand-child. He may feel bad about it now. I agree with Brew. people think that it's ok to make fun of balding. It's thought to be the joke that no-one gets offended by.

mullinz8 said...

I think Sipp is on to something. the guy has just received a grandkid and really doesn't know what to say and might feel a bit insecure. Also I know tha my family would take cheap shots at some of my friends becuase they were my friends. It's as though they felt some sort of connection through me because I always tried to make my family and friends connnect so that my foks would know that I was hanging around decent people. They never razzed them about their hair or anything cheap like that. There are two things we were told to never bust people on in Clown College and that's hair and body type. My addition to that list is employment, folks are just sensative about those things. I'm glad that you didn't take a jab back because I would guess he was so nervious he really didn't think about what he said.