Tuesday, July 12, 2005

A Window in the Rain

I've been frustrated and bored lately with retooling the book I just finished. My main problem is taking what I have hand-written and physically typing it into the computer. This, on top of all the rewriting I am doing along the way, has driven me to another writing fit. So, I started a new book. I am not abandoning the last one, just trying to keep my creative juices flowing while slowly working the last book (The Tower Quail) into something smoother. So, I have begun to write somethng a little younger and more fantastical. It has elements of C. S. Lewis and other fantasy writer styles thrown in with a science fiction slant. I plan to work in the spiritual symbolism and general good vs. evil conflict that you see in Lewis' writings. But, I love the way Madeleine L'Engle uses spirituality, symbolism, and sci fi together so that feel will be present, to a degree. It all starts with a boy and his father on a rainy night. They get into a car accident and the boy awakes to find he is in the care of these peculiar beings. Then the story unfolds and we begin to learn what caused the car accident, who these people are, who the boy is, and for what purpose they have been brought together. This is just the beginning and I plan to make this a series of fantasy novels. It's been a dream of mine to write this sort of thing since I was a small child and I have finally figured out where the begin, where to go, and where to end. Should be an amazing journey!

12 comments:

JS said...

look forward to reading it...
save time, write with the keyboard.

bigsip said...

Amen...that's what I'm doing now. Using the laptop allows me to relax and type at the same time. I am through with the days of hand-writing then typing, except for taking some notes to help keep me on track. Stickies are my choice for that.

mullinz8 said...

I have to tell you that if I had the means I'd go lap top all the way. I'm dieing to get one and someday when I learn how to poop money I will. I think if I had a laptop I would take the time to write. I hate going in and sitting at the computer because it's "at the computer" and I use the thing for work stuff. If I could sit on the couch and write it would feel more like an enjoyable process instead of some sort of "project".
Keep those words flowing, when you hit a block you can go back and transcribe from paper to drive.

bigsip said...

Yes, my brother. Although, I have found myself sitting with the laptop set up on the desk more often than not. But, having the option to go outside on the swing or by the fountain is very nice. There is still something very organic and pleasurable to me about hand writing my stories, but the knowledge that I will eventually have to transcribe to disk has changed me to straight laptop for good. I save to floppy like every other sentence, too. Just making sure I don't lose anything. Anyway, write my friend. If you just write on paper like i used to, do it. My first two books were done that way, and I am glad of it in many ways. It's a bitch to type those suckers up later, but at least they're done. Write, my friends. Write till your fingers blister and your hands cramp!

JS said...

mulls, i wish i knew you wanted a laptop, i gave sipper his a few weeks ago.
they are crappy and arent worth doing anything buy word processing, but you could have used it... I SUCK

bigsip said...

I wish I had asked you for ALL of them, Jamison. My brother would have loved to have one, too. Of course, I could think of half-a-dozen folks I know who would have eaten them up, but I didn't want to be selfish after getting one for my fil, too. Sorry, Mullins...we both suck:(

JS said...

i didnt want to give too many away... i got a nice safari bar on my truck :)... but i wont say how I earned that extra money...

bigsip said...

LMAO! You da man, Jamison!

Diana said...

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH! My two fave books are Lion, witch, ward. and wrinkle in time. NOW YOUR SPEAKING MY LANGUAGE! I can't wait for this one!

bigsip said...

Cool! Yeah, I really love creating worlds and ideas. It's fun and creative in a different way from what other writing gives. It's been so much fun writing this so far and I'm so excited I can hardly sleep at night! I had to get up at 11:30 last night to jot down a couple of ideas that came to me.

mullinz8 said...

Jamison, I want a laptop too!

JS said...

im fresh out my friend!
that would suck anyway, but I do have some old ones I need to get rid of maybe next summer... they are okay.