Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The sway of Isaac

For the past four years my oldest boy has had no influence outside of his family, church, babysitter and very selective television screening. Yesterday all that changed. Yesterday Isaac started his first day of pre-school. I didn’t get nervous or bothered until no one called to tell me that he was having a bad time and not getting along with the other kids. Once I realized that he was fine I started to get a little sad. The child that I have loved and nurtured and centered my world around is about to change. I have always dreamed of raising kids that are self-reliant, confident, assertive, cautious, polite and thoughtful.
Last week Isaac started swimming lessons and he proved he was cautious, polite and thoughtful taking time to understand what his instructor wanted and doing exactly that. So Jules and I both dropped Isaac off at the pre-school and within four minutes of us talking to the teacher Isaac started to walk away from us. We called him back and told him to listen, be nice, play well and that we loved him. He gave us both hugs and kisses and walked into his future alone. Yesterday when I picked him up from pre-school he proved that he could walk into a new situation with confidence and self-reliance. When the teacher told me he did just fine and played very well with the other kids I knew that a pacifistic upbringing having never watched 5 seconds of power rangers, yu-gi-oh or any of that other crap he was still thoughtful and assertive enough to stand and play with kids who have watched nothing but junk for years (Jules and I even saw two kids get into a fight hitting and kicking each other). Yesterday began the next twelve years of Isaac developing his own thoughts and feelings. We’ve got several years until he starts to put others thoughts above our own but the process has begun. Thusly now we’re about to begin a real family routine picking out a game night, reading night, tv night and what else we can do to ensure that we his family are and will always be a corner stone he can build his life on.
Today and Thursday he’ll be watched by Jules family, Wednesday and Friday he’ll be back in school. Next week I think he’ll be ready to go full time.
I know that he’ll be fine because Jules and I have never wanted to be the parents that let just let their kids “go”. It’s a bit nerving to be at this point where your child is putting into action the skills and you’ve tried to instill to this point. I’m sad to realize that Jules and I have so far done our jobs right, I would really like to feel like he needs me to give him a few more pointers and help him understand this is a big step. He walked into the situation with out any hesitation and concern. I hear when they leave for college it’s worse.

12 comments:

lilsip said...

This makes my heart hurt. I've always thought about how great it will be when my kids go to school, so I can get back to making art, but now I think I'll just treasure being needed 24-7. You guys are awesome parents.

JS said...

I can remember the first day my mom dropped me off at school for kindergarten... at the time, i was nervous, didnt dry, and of course had no friends to sit with, but i was cool.... but thinking back, I am sure my mom was sitting in the back of that auditorium that kids got dropped off at and watching me till I went to class.

Mulls, if you really wany the big I to develop, we can have game night when yall come, and play trivial pursuit... he will learn to lose because i can kid all of ya'lls arses in that game.... MUHAHAHAHAHA

mullinz8 said...

For some reason I think shoots and ladders might be a bit more his speed unless you want to play a game of acrobatics and then he'll put you to shame. He's also the only kid I know that can spin out a bike with training wheels, keep his feet on the peddles and glance up with a big smile and then keep on rolling.
Rachel, great pic, and keep the kid tucked in tight. Let him do everything he wants and then savory his victories. IN the midst of feeling sad there is also a great feeling of pride that he's going to be ok despite you're hidden tears. Watching him swim when only two weeks ago he was bothered to even splash his face in the water too much is a great feeling.

bigsip said...

Beautiful story, my friend. I don't look forward to that nerve-wracking day Luke goes to school. I remember the day I left home to go 1 hour away from home to college. You'd have thought that I was moving to Australia the way we all cried. I went out to my Dad's shop where he was working to tell him goodbye and he couldn't even turn around and look at me. The point is that when you leave, you're gone (insert Yogi Berra comment here). You can never really go back. Life will never, ever be the same again. Isaac has made that first step. He is still at home, but will forever be divided between home and elsewhere. Once you leave for college, military, or life in general, you're gone and can never truly go back, no matter what you do.

tnmommieof2 said...

ok guys...i thought i was ok..but reading your responses to matts blog is making me tear up again! i know isaac will be fine, i know he is fairly well adjusted and all..i am just worried about all the new words and actions he might pick up from the other kids. i feel like a whole new struggle of parenting is beginning. although i am pretty confident that he knows right from wrong, as much as he can, and knows how we want him to behave...i'm just worried...like any mom would be...

bigsip said...

He'll be fine. You just keep loving, disciplining, and teaching, and he'll keep loving, learning, and respecting. He's not gonna be perfect no matter what you do, but he'll at least know to strive for perfection in the washing and cleansing that Jesus provides. Y'all are good parents, I think. They're bound to be good kids!

tnmommieof2 said...

ty very much sip!!

bigsip said...

So happy to encourage my beloved friends. And I meant what I said...y'all are good folks.

Diana said...

I now neither want to be a parent or a teacher.
That's so heartbreaking... I know it must be rough. YOu guys are all such great parents.
My first day of Kindergarten was during my single dad phase... I don't really remember anything dramatic happening.
I remember my first kiss/ boy friend was in kindergarten. His name was Aaron and he didn't have any thumbs.

bigsip said...

Was he the class pet? I think it's sweet that you fell for a hamster or fish or mongoose...They need hugs and kisses, too!

mullinz8 said...

He might have been the class gimp and really not had any thumbs. I guess if he didn't have any fingers he could have been all hands too.
get it!

JS said...

how very odd... a new high-up faculty member at my place of work doesnt have a thumb on his right hand...

my first kiss was from a girl in the 3rd grade.. Alicia Broome.

I was the class monitor while the teacher was away. Id wirte kids name on the board who talked. Typically, a person would raise their hand and I (or whoever the class monitor was) would go to them and they would tattle on a talker... Alicia rasied her hand, and I went to her, and she pretended to tell me something whilst kissing my cheek... I had no idea how to react, so I went to the board and pretended to write someones name down...