Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Asheville shoot: Thursday

Thursday:
Ok so here is a basic rundown of my shoot in Asheville. Thursday evening I arrive at the Grove Park In and Chuck is already checked in, since he and I were sharing a room that was pretty nice. Moments after finding Chuck I see the PR manager, Phil Werz. He and I talk for a bit and I introduce Chuck when the decision is made to go ahead and start our first set up in the spa. Chuck and I lug two camera bags, audio bag, electric bag and a massive light kit through the bowels of the GPI to a couple’s treatment room. We needed the couple’s room because it’s a decently big space. I set the lights and cameras and realize that I’m going to be waiting for a while. I knew that the other two groups of our crews were going to be tailing behind me and Chuck but I didn’t realize how much. Some two hours later Chuck and I are being treated to a selection of appetizers with Phil in the Great Hall when we see Scott the other on camera guy and his friend since Jr. High Jamie. I’ve known Scott for as long as I’ve worked here and he’s a good guy. Jamie is would sort of remind you guys of Brew verbally because he has a relatively relaxed cadence and humorously, cozy, smugness except that Jamie enjoyed tacking on statements that sounded completely half-cocked and unbelievable. Overall a very pleasant chap. Finally we hook up with Scott and Jamie and they sit and enjoy a beverage with us, moments later the last of the team arrives. Greg, camera guy and Ed the Audio guy call and let me know they are pulling into the drive. So we’re all in and head to the spa, finally!
So there is a bit of shuffling because now the room is filled with people and we’re all going over lights, cameras and audio and it feels good to be making something happen. The set up is this, Scott and I have finished our match and he has won, from that I owe him a spa treatment. I’m the only one really talking for this piece, Scott’s part of the set up is to lie on the massage table and get a warm stone and oil back rub while I deliver my lines. Luckily for him I have several flubs so the next hour is spent with me sweating and him getting a several hundred dollar backrub. Finally we get everything knocked out and we stow our gear. We meet back in the Great Hall and half of our group decides it’s time to eat. Chuck, Ed and I are not interested in going out so we all crash. Scott, Jamie and Greg venture out in search of food and after some time being lost in Asheville arrive back and the GPI around 2:30am.

4 comments:

Mat Brewster said...

great stories mullins. Really. But I'm confused, maybe I missed something. What, exactly, are you doing? Obviously shooting something around Biltmore, but why? This is your own gig? trying to get a show? Does Scripps know? Are you funding it?

bigsip said...

Yes, explain to us this enigma, wrapped in a mystery, wrapped in a tortilla...

JS said...

You dont know what you are asking... when I visited him, he started the story with "long story short", then his story ended like 15 minutes later...

bigsip said...

Wowza! Well, write me a short story and entertain me then...Maybe a novella?