Thursday, July 28, 2005

hummus and nukes

So I help a friend finish a video for a church presentations today and decide that I have a hankering for some middle eastern food. My choices as they may be in most of our reading areas are pretty slim but there is a place that’s been here 31 years and still going strong, Ali Babha’s. It’s literally a small shack and has had that feeling for most likely 29 of it’s 31 years. I’ve seen it for as long as I can remember. Any way I’ve started eating there every so often because it’s real middle eastern food. They have the typical deli selection, burgers and fries but they have delicious gyro’s, hummus and Arabic based grub. So today I walk in and notice there is a large number of easterners. No worries really. I place my order of hummus and lamb (very yummy btw) and wait. There is a kid in there who’s maybe 13 years old. At one point I see the kid walk from behind the counter following another easterner with a gun. My mind exploded until I saw the red tip on the muzzle showing it to be a fake. I’m sitting in this small shack with a few other fairer skinned individuals and a whole new group of middle easterners and now this kid has a gun! For a split second it really freaked me out. I could imagine that the papers outside of the 15 mile blast zone would write descriptions about the little gyro maker that was the most active terror cell hub in the south eastern US.

2 comments:

bigsip said...

I love ME food, man. I need to see if there is an ME joint here. Humus is soooo good. Watch out, man. That kid could suicide bomb you one day!

JS said...

i think ME food is okay, i went to one in L.A. and it was, so so, the hummus was really gross.... Tyrees husband loved it and liked it so much he would often say "I want to eat so much of it that my sweat smells like garlic."