Monday, July 18, 2005

Clueless people... the world is flat... and the sun revolves around the earth

I have to rant, if I rant to anyone about this at work, im liable to get fired (heck, I am liable to get fired anyway...)

There are many people I work with who are like this, but this is one example:

A teacher here (K3... yes, 3 year olds) begged and begged for a new computer. And rightly so, she needed it (If you can consider being at work from 8am to 12pm, and never here in the summer 'work') So, with my batch of new computers, I gave her one, set it up, oved all her files over, and im done.

Not so fast! Of course she is very thankful for the computer, which is nice, but she did need it, and dont deserve any praise. But she has one thing she wants done. A digital camera hooked up to her computer. Her email starts off with "A parent did this for me last year" which sets me off in my head already. I get paid to do this crap, parents pay me big bucks to do it, so when she asks a parent to do MY job for her, I am already ticked off.

So i email her back and simply say "Hook camera to usb cable, hook usb cable to computer, open My Computer, camera should appear as a drive in there." Which is true, with 95% of all digital cameras. No need to install any software. Well apparently, this one is different. She tried my suggestion and emailed me again. It started out "where are you now so I can come talk to you about this?" I responded "please dont come to my office, I am rarely in there."
She goes on to say that my suggestion didnt work, any others? I say "no, i will have to get to it early September since I am in teh middle of the busiest time of year for me now."

Which is true, in fact, today, I have one of the most stressful, and most important tasks that needs to be done by tomarrow morning.

So this lady shows up at my office door this morning "Oh good, I finally caught you!" And I see her and am not as excited to see her as she is to see me. "Whats wrong?" she asks. "Frankly, I dont like people coming to my office when they can email me." Well, Last year, a parent helped me..." And I stop her mid-sentence and say "yes, I got your email, and replied to it." I think had to explain everything I did in the email I sent her. She continued to beg me to come to her room and set it up. If she were in my building, i would do it, but she is LITERALLY the furthest room from my office... close to, if not over, half a miles walk. And all my summer duties are done in the elementary. I tell her again "I can get to it early septemeber" To which she gives me a pouty face that no woman her age should be giving another man.

I finally say "how urgest is it that you get this camera hooked up to your computer?" Just trying to get her to leave. "not urgest." I say "Okay, well, everything I am doing today and the rest of the summer IS urgent that it get done before school starts."

Signed
-Steven Palinski
In Kiddibunkport, Maine

16 comments:

bigsip said...

Did this actually happen to you or is this story all about Steve Palinski? If it happened to me, I think I'd go postal. Should I hold on to your gun for a few days?

JS said...

it happened to me, steven palinski, protecting my ID...

Mat Brewster said...

Except that your profile just shows it is you.

Man, one thing I've realized in my years of work, is the world is full of idiots. Why is she connecting a digital camera to her work computer anyway? Do you guys have any rules about what teachers can do to their pcs? Maybe as the tech guy you could create some.

JS said...

well, being a K3 teacher, and each teacher having basically thier own webspace connected to our website, i am sure the parents love seeing pics of thier kiddies playing. So yes, it is work related.

bigsip said...

Oh, wink wink nudge nudge...I get it, Steven. Man, that chick needs to chill. Sorry work is stressing you at the moment. Take an early day and do some fishing and relax a little if you can. Man, people suck sometimes!

JS said...

fishing in this weather? I wish, I mowed the yard sunday at about 2pm... 2:00pm in Alabama in July is not a time to be outdoors, mowing your yard. I literally about fainted.

bigsip said...

Yeah, I did something similar this weekend. It is hotter than blue blazes, man! Just think how hot it'll be at Disney, though. Start conditioning yourself now. We will be doing some heavy walking in that heat!

Diana said...

Don't mention Disney....
:(

bigsip said...

OY! I'm sorry Diana! Y'all are gonna be missed very much on that trip. Of course, all who will not be there will be missed, but c'est la vie, mon cherie!

Mat Brewster said...

Screw disney, you all should take a cheaper trip and see some more of America. Take a weekend trip north and see some of New England. Give me a few weeks to get settled and come to corn country and visit me.

About the heat, at least you guys have air conditioning. We've been suffering 90 plus degree weather with a beat up fan. Make the suffering stop.

JS said...

CHEAPER?
for $1,080 we get to stay in a hotel room on Disney propertiy for 6 days and get to go to any of the parks any of those days, and all meals are included... and we arent paying for a plane ticket. Do the math my friend...thats less than $200 a day per couple... plus, at epcot we can visit the world! lol

Mat Brewster said...

That does sound like a good deal, but you're still staying at Disney.

You could trip somewhere much cooler for less, though the accomodations wouldn't be as nice as Disney's I'm sure.

Any of you guys ever heard of Stratford, Ontario? That's where Amy and I honeymooned. It was lovely. Cool, breezy Canadian summer and they have a shakespeare festival that beats the pants off of Montgomery's version. Well, ok maybe not the pants, but they have multiple theatres and the setting rules.

We should plan a cafe trip there sometime.

bigsip said...

Have you been to Disney World, Brew? I've been to the northeast. I've been out west a peice, too. The only place I'd really like to go now is Europe. We're gonna have to get there when the kids are older and can either stay with GPs or come along. Anyway, Disney's pretty darn cool! If you stay on property with meals included and can go to any park any time, it's phenomenal! Very fun! Wish y'all could be there!

bigsip said...

Of course, I'd go wherever with you guys. It's always a fun time with my bros.

Mat Brewster said...

No, I haven't been to disney. I haven't any real desire to either. I do like amusement parks, but disney seems like too much kiddie stuff and not enough scary rides. Plus the crowds would kill me. But you kids have fun.

Oh, sipper, you should see more of the country than that. There are so many beautimous places even in the US. Europe has been grand, but visit other joints in the world too.

bigsip said...

I'd like to travel some more in the future, but I'm not itching for it right now. We are pretty settled and have our family to watch over. But, I think one day we might take the drive the US tour or something and show the kids some more of the country. I would recommend you do a big Disney trip at least once. I've been around 5 times and it's better every time! Lots of fun rides, food, shows, and Animal Kingdom is the best zoo I've ever seen! It's great! Anyway, I suppose we'll just have to live vicariously through y'all till you have some younguns and settle down. Then the real adventure begins!