Thursday, July 14, 2005

Goals

I have a strategy that I have used for my writing for some time now. The strategy is structured completely around attainable goals. When you come up with a big idea like a book, mural, movie, etc. it can sometimes seem too big to tackle, and that's why most people never get past the idea. If you never get past the idea, you'll never do anything. So, what you have to do is divide things up into daily, attainable goals. My personal goal is to write 2 pages every day. That doesn't mean that I only write 2 pages a day. I might write three or five or ten. But, I always write at least two. There have been times when I was extremely busy with other things that I had to reduce to 1 page per day, and you sometimes have to do that to keep going and producing. What it all comes down to is making something happen, producing, not becoming stagnant, and keeping your creativity and productivity exercised. So, for all you folks out there who are trying to get somewhere, take it in small steps and keep going!

6 comments:

Diana said...

That's really inspirational! Thanks Josh! -Diana

bigsip said...

You're so sweet! I just felt like sharing something. I appreciate you appreciating it! You are getting closer and closer to your goal of being a teacher every day because of those little goals you check off as you finish assignments for classes! Just think about the enormous feeling of accomplishment you'll have when you finish school! I'm proud of you girl!

mullinz8 said...

step by step. I'm rescheduling my second shoot for Asheville and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get everything done because after the last one I was going to take what I got and run, now I have the chance to build more body to the show. Figuring out everything I need to get is twisting my little mind into pieces. But I've got to take the shoot one day at a time and work from there.
btw this next weekend Asheville, NC is doing their Shindig On The Green and it's basicly where the entire city is one pick up, bluegrass, jam session. I'd love the chance to get schooled in some flat and finger picking while I'm there.

Diana said...

Aw, shucks, Josh. Thank you!!! That's something EVERY college student needs to hear. You know as much as I'm dreading next semester because of the tremendous work load, I can't wait to get into those classes. It will be so nice to actually feel like I'm accomplishing something. Just think, only 3 more semesters and then I'm an intern and then BOOM I'm a teacher!

bigsip said...

Mullins, you are putting it together, my friend. Keep chipping away and you'll have it all in order. Pray, too! We'll all do the same.

bigsip said...

I'm proud of you, Di. You're doing well and progressing and growing in so many ways. Just pray A LOT. Pray in the morning, evening, in the shower, at work, all the time. You'll be amazed at how calming it will be and what focus it will give you. God is doing that, my friend!