Friday, July 01, 2005

Champion Tree

My Dad recently had a guy come measure our old Black Walnut tree. It's a pretty big specimen located in the middle of our pine forrest on Sipper Hill. If this tree is found to be the largest in the state of Alabama, it will be the state Champion Tree! We aren't sure how old it is, but my Grandfather (who would be in his 80s noww if he were still living) said it was a large tree when he was a little boy. It has been a huge tree since I was a little boy and still looks pretty big to me. Anyway, here is the website for the Alabama Champion Tree program.

5 comments:

Mat Brewster said...

A little anal retentiveness on my part. When you guys post a URL could you please make it a link with a word in the post. To do so all you need to do is highlight a word that will make a good link, click on the icon to make a link (it looks like a little chain link)then past the url into the pop up window.

This just makes the post look so much better than having this long, ugly url sticking out too big in the post.

Mat Brewster said...

Oh, and do you have any picks of this tree sip? Do you win any cool prizes for having a champion tree?

bigsip said...

I will try to get a pic and post it sometime. I wiwll also fix the link. It's easy enough and I usually do the link thing. Thanks, Brew!

bigsip said...

No, no prizes...just the honor of having the champion tree on your property. We live on historic land and having an historic tree to accompany it would be really cool!

JS said...

i just hope the govt doesnt seeze any of your land to build a freeway for folks to come see that aweseom tree... show it to me next time we go down there.