Thursday, July 21, 2005

a MUST read

http://pewforum.org/events/index.php?EventID=80

You guys need to read this. I've spent the better part of my morning taking all of this in and I think as we move ahead as a society of believers we should know what and who is at stake. This is the transcript between Rick Warren and a panel of journalists. RW is the author of A Purpose Driven Life. He's also the pasture of a congregation of 25,000 actual weekend attendees and 85,000 "members" in Orange County, CA. I think what RW is saying is very true in many facets and very important. I also think what's he's not saying is of equal importance.
It's a bit of a read but I think it's worth it. At the end let me know if you're also equally excited and bothered.

4 comments:

bigsip said...

I have not read this guy's books, but I know where he's coming from. I skimmed this exhaustive interview/forum and found it to be mostly political ramblings brought on by the media cronies who kept pushing it that way. I think Warren would have preferred it otherwise. I was irked by his obvious lack of humility. He kept referring to himself as a "Pastor" which should not be used in reference to a preacher unless he is an Elder (Pastor, Bishop, Overseer, etc.) in a GROUP of Elders. He was obviously not referring to Elders (plural), but magnifying his own position as a "Pastor". I was disturbed by his belief in modern day miracles and his apparent disregard for or lack of knowledge about salvation. There are many other thtings I could say about why I think he and the mega-church ideal are off-base. But, why? I think having a purpose, helping people, and being motivated as believers is probably one of the things we are missing by a mile in the church. Maybe not that bad, but we can definitely do much better. It seems to me that one of the things the Saddleback folks have against them is the lack of Bible knowledge and looking for God's purpose. Our purpose should reflect God's purpose and not water-down that purpose. Staying focussed on the Word and following it is paramount. Being purpose-driven is more than benefiting humanity; it's about following Christ. How can we do that if we don't stay in the Word? I did appreciate Warren's attempts to depoliticize the discussion. He has strong convictions against gay marriage, abortion, and many of the same social ills we are concerned with. But, overall, I see many, many people being led into a cult of persons rather than a fellowship of believers and followers.

bigsip said...

By the way, thanks for posting that, Mullins. It is exciting to think of the possibilities of the church and how many people we can help. It's also scary how lemming-like people can be. Thanks for keepinng your eye out for some good stuf, my friend!

kermitgrn said...

Ah, the Outback church. "No Rules, Just Right."

bigsip said...

LOL! Well said, Charles. Only took him a sentence...I write too much!