Friday, July 15, 2005

George Jones

I just had to blog this, even though I already mentioned it in another post. Last night, Jamison and I went to our Thursday night jam session with the bluegrass band. As we were walking in, I noticed that George Jones (his actual name) was carrying a box that contained a brand new Fender Squier SA-100 acoustic guitar. He had told me a couple of weeks ago that he had a guitar I could use since the old one I had borrowed was pretty crappy. We get inside and he put the box down on the table and said, "This is yours!" I didn't know what to say. I didn't deserve it. I haven't practiced like I should. But, this kind old retired Navy man knew what would kick my butt into practice mode. I love it and I found that it's about 100 times easier to play than the old crappy one. So, I am now going to devote half an hour every night to practice before I write my pages. I can't pass up the opportunity to learn after such a kind thing was done for me. I don't think I'll ever deserve it, but at least I will work harder at it now.

10 comments:

bigsip said...

Oh, and I'm not really sure if he was giving me the guitar or not, but just the fact that he bought a brand new guitar just for me to use was heart-warming and kind beyond belief!

JS said...

yeah, i was like that too, I couldnt tell if it was a new one he was letting you barrow or giving you... I would say that once you learn some strums, maybe in about 4 or 5 months, you can ask him "So when do you want this back?"

Your best bet is to practice with your brother in law if he is still in town, he knows lots of cheats.

mullinz8 said...

Very cool! Sipper don‘t let the old guy down. So what I really think this means is that it’s time for me to invest in a new instrument! I’ve still got my basic guitar chops and I can still pick up a mandolin and strum a long. I love the lap dulcimer but it’s not always the easiest with accompaniment. I guess I need to get a bass! Jamison can riff off my percussive plucking and time keeping and let Sipp take strumming to him self. I guess we’re a stones throw from being able to play the next time we see each other. Btw Jamison I was really impressed with your playing.

JS said...

oh, thanks mulls, I didnt wanna let you down ya know!
Hey, I am saving up for my own mando, so hopefully I can return your gem to you ASAP. I know you dont care, but I think it is time for my own.

Diana said...

What a cool story! That is so exciting you have a new guitar to learn more on now!!! What a nice old man!

bigsip said...

Good idea, Jamison. And I plan to practice every night from now on, Mullins. Something just needed to happen to get me focussed on what I have really wanted to do for a while now. Di, yes it's way cool! I can play Amazing Grace on it pretty easy now and I know 5 or 6 chords fairly well, so I'm coming along. I do know that I won't be buying an instrument of my own for a while. They're expensive and we're on a budget. But, I do thnk I'll borrow one of my Uncle Tommy's three dobros once I feel comfortable on this guitar. I'd love to learn that!

Mat Brewster said...

My father in law plays the dulcimer. Large chunks of my TN family plays various instruments, though I've always missed the jam sessions. My uncle is the guitarist for ricky skaggs ya know?

Um, I like music, I listen all the time. Where's the banjo I'm always planning on picking up????

bigsip said...

When we do the big reunion, we will all have to bring our axes and do some chops babies! We'll all be wearing golden diapers before the reunion's over babies! I can't wait!

tnmommieof2 said...

just as long as i can sing along!!

bigsip said...

Of course! It is highly encouraged! Especially with your beautiful, golden voice.