Thursday, July 14, 2005

Opening Up

Warning: this gets a little cookoo. And long. I love anyone who has the patience to read all this.
Charlie and I ran into two of my high school friends last night. One of them some of you know, Michelle the Bridesmaid who had a cruch on Jamison. We ran into them at Target and decided to drive to Barnes and Noble to chat. When we got there, they said that they had talked about how a lot of people in high school have changed. And a lot have. I mean, I don't talk to Taylor anymore she changed so much. Or was she like that all along....???.... Anywho, they said I was one of the only ones they thought had changed for the better. Which of course made me feel good. And I agree, I have changed for the better. I mean you guys think I'm sensitive and out there NOW???!!!!??? Until Charlie and Church and you guys I was CONFUSED at best. I wasn't really a let's have sex, let's drink and do drugs type. Because I take great pride in being an anti statistic. I saw what became of my family members and said uh huh, no way. But I was just lost and didn't know what life was a bout and all that. Many MANY environmental factors changed me. Like I said Charlie, God, Church, Charlie's family. I remeber when I first began spending time with them, I was amazed at how NICE they were to eachother. We would go shopping and Jeanette would ask Mimi if she had enough time to look around. We would go out to eat and everyone would ask how eachother's food was... I was amazed anyone would ever care if my alfredo was good. And they smiled at eachother and exchanged witty banter. I remember going out to eat with my family when I still lived at home and being afraid of making eye contact with my step mom, of saying the wrong thing with my step mother. I have thankfully forgotten a lot of details about my past but one thing I do vividly rmember is how horrible a feeling it is of being afraid of every move, that you are only seconds away from being put in your place. Another memory that really got the ball moving for Diana's transformation to how wonderful life can be is meeting you guys. I remember being amazed that such a diverse group could have so much love and consideration for eachother. I remember the warmth of Sipper, the way Mullins looks people in the eye. Mostly I remember something Jamison did while we were playing mini golf (or put put where I come from.) Larissa tripped on something and fell down. I laughed about it, something I feel guilty for to this day, but Jamison went rushing to her side. He was so concerned that she had hurt herself and I had NEVER seen a husband show so much love to his wife. It's sounds like such a simple thing and it's hard for me to describe the exact feeling, but I think that's what taught me to care for people correctly. As apposed to what my parents had inadvertantly taught me, that marriage was about manipulation and oneing up the other. It's like something snapped in me that night. Well anyway, I wanted to thank you guys for teaching me those small lessons that got me thinking about so many things. You all may not realize it, but you helped lead me to God, to a happy marriage, and away from my past.
On a less optimistic note, I'm getting a little sick of my family's games. Everytime I see my stepbrother he's yelling at me about never visiting my step mom (always while stoned, of course), my step sister is completly bi polar and I never know if she wants to be my friend or kill me, my step mom is hateful and makes up things and my dad just goes along with it. The other day my father reminded me of this one time they put this dead racoon in a box and told me to go look in it. I thoght it would be something neat and it was a dead stinky animal and they all laughed at me when I cried. I mean they're just cruel! Anyway, I'm sick of their games. For instance, apparently the other night Charlie and I saw them in Wal-Mart and turned and walked the other way. Totally didn't even see them, but now it's this big deal. Since everyone is mad at me now, I've tried to explain that we didn't see them but no one believes me, and I get the feeling, allthough I'm jumping to conclusions here, that Dad believes her. Which is so typical. He always believes her. I think that my issue isn't that my step mom was horrible for so many years, it's that my FATHER always looked the other way and still does, but still expects me to call her and exchange pleasentries. My point is, I'm trying to move on but this CRAP just ends up finding me. Like my step brother at my rehersal dinner. The fact that he was there and telling everyone about his issues and stealing money didn't bother me, it's that everyone felt sorry for me. I HATED that. And about a week ago he came to where I work and chewed me out. RUDE! I can't wait to get away from here so I won't have to deal with all this childish behavior. My dad's just going to have to deal with it. I ran away in the first place so they couldn't take they're stuff out of me and they still do and I've just about had enough!
So sorry to unload on you guys but I needed to get a lot of that off my chest. I feel better now. Good night.
:) I love you guys
Diana

22 comments:

bigsip said...

I love you, Diana. We are praying for y'all. I hate to hear about family that isn't family. In my opinion, you should get away from them as soon as possible. Those people aren't your family. Families treat each other with respect and love. They encourage and support each other and don't begrudge each other happiness. I'm so glad that you and Charlie are together. That man has a big heart and so does his family. Y'all will certainly be a welcome addition to Montgomery when y'all come to visit and hopefully live here eventually. In the meantime, pray all the time. Pray for your "family" to become family, pray for yourself, pray for Charlie, pray pray pray. Love you and take care of yourself.

JS said...

I think that blog is exactly what a blog is designed for... well done...
Oh, and I had forgotten about Larissa falling, and I garantee she has forgotten it and forgotten you laughing, so dont feel guilty. She probbaly didnt notice you laughing... she was too concerned with all the BLOOD POURING FROM HER WOUND!!! kidding, love you!

bigsip said...

I don't remember Larissa falling, but I'm sure that none of us thought anything about the laugh. All I remember thinking was how incredible this new girl Charlie had met was! She was so sweet and nice and pretty! What was she doing with Charlie?!?!?! Kidding, of course. I knew Charlie would find a wonderful, beautiful person, and he did! And I totally agreewith Jamison's assessment of your blogginess. You blogged your heart out!

mullinz8 said...

Diana, you’re a good seed. Don’t let anything dissuade you from knowing and embracing that simple fact. I would guess that you’re getting more and more flack from you relatives because there is something obviously good happening in your life. Satan is very real and though the c.o.C isn’t hip on discussing spiritual warfare I think you’re locked into it. All of those little conflicts are an attempt to wear you down. To quote Sipp “pray A LOT.” We all have the joy and assurance of knowing God is with us. Write your dad a letter and tell him how you feel. Don’t be spiteful towards or even mention your relationship with the rest of the family and let him know that you’re going to have to move on. I know that Sipp can find you BCV on leaving those behind who reject Christ’s teaching. It might be time to consider that removing yourself from those situations could only be beneficial. You don’t suffer the emotional abuse and they have no one to gang up on. You are better than your past and you are blessed to have the opportunity to move beyond their expectations, do it! You have nothing but complete love and support from me, Jules and the rest of your friends.
Be strong little sister.

mullinz8 said...

I'm sure Larissa doesn't remember your laughing because I'm sure that I busted out first. I love a good fall.

JS said...

classic physical-comedy-mullins

Diana said...

Thanks, guys, I appreciate all this. It's hard to put the past behind you when stuff keeps happening. I used to pray when I was a teenager for things to be different, but the Bible says that God doesn't hear sinners when they pray. That makes me sad. I feel like I was actually alone for allthose years. But I need to learn to give it to the Lord and not worry about it all anymore. Tony, our preacher, told us this story about a guy who had something bad happen to his family, after a little discussion he told his family he was going to bed. The family said "how can you sleep at a time like this?" He said, easy, I've given it to the Lord to worry about and he's going to be up all night anyway. I need to pray more.
I really want to get out of Myrtle Beach for good. What makes me sad is that my Dad will probably never come visit because his wife has controll over him. I hate living here too, because it's like she has a gravitation pull. Everywhere I go, I know she's close by and when I go to her part of town, I just feel this negativity.
I don't think anyone noticed me laughing, but it's one of those things I've always felt bad about. Sipper and Mullins weren't there, we had split up to play the two different courses.
I know I may sound sad but I'm not. I just have a lot to say:)
I love you guys.

bigsip said...

We love you, too! Yes, the Bible does talk about loving God more than anyone else and choosing Him over family. Luke 14:25-27 says, "Now great multitudes were going with him. He turned and said to them,"If anyone comes to me, and doesn't hate his own father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he can't be my disciple. Whoever doesn't bear his own cross, and come after me, can't be my disciple." He doesn't literally mean "hate" of course, just don't put anyone ahead of God is what Jesus is saying. And by hating your own life, he means to not be selfish. In any case, Jesus just wants us to follow him and not let anyone or anything hinder us. That being said, I think you might need to say your peace and forgive your family. They don't have to accept it or ask for it. But, it will help you heal and put stuff behind you and will be an example for them to follow. Then you can leave and have closure knowing that you did what was right and did everything you could as a daughter, step-daughter, sister, etc. to make things right and show them you are a disciple of Christ. I'm proud of you, Diana. You are a true seeker and braver than you know.

Diana said...

Yeah. I would love to be able to say my peace. I get the feeling that I'm close to that point because I'm continuing to get less sad and more angry. I don't think I'm going to be able to forgive though because it's still happening. I mean, it's relativley easy to forgive what's in the past, but when it's not in the past yet and I still have to deal with it. What breaks my heart is that I feel like I'm going to lose my father. Or maybe I allready have and I've been in denial. I just want to forget about it. Anybody have a flashy thing from Men in Black???

Diana said...

I"m just sick of taking it, you know. My dad should understand.
I want to thank you all for all your advice. it's great to have a group to remind me to look at things from a spiritual persepective.
Diana

Mat Brewster said...

This is a little late, but Di you are a sweet girl. I am disheartened to hear you've had such trouble, but glad to hear things are much better for you.

Realize you are the light for your family. Keep shining bright and praying and perhaps they too will become christians.

At the same time, live your own life, not worrying about how they try to bring you down. you have charlie now, and that's enough.

Diana said...

Amen!!! Thank you!

bigsip said...

Brew said it well. And forgiveness is something only you can give when you're ready. Otherwise, it's not really forgiveness. Just remember that forgiveness in this case is more for your benefit than for their's. Having a clear conscience about past relationships is liberating. Being content in your marriage and leaving behind the hurts of the past is more important, though.

mullinz8 said...

Brew you actually gave Charlie as a point of encouragement... He's a good chap.

bigsip said...

Indeed he is. Charlie and Di are blessed to have each other as we are all blessed to have our wonderful spouses.

Mat Brewster said...

Hey man. Charlie is a good fella. Why else would he be my friend? I mean besides the free anal rapage and all.

bigsip said...

Ah, Brew. So poetic in your espousal of friendship. So eloquent in the masterful tounge of pleasant oratory. Sing it over again to me...

Diana said...

All I need is Charlie
dunnn da da da da
All I need is Charlie
dunnn da da da da
All I need is Chahaharlie
All I need is Charlie

bigsip said...

hehe, he is lovable, ain't he?

Mat Brewster said...

See Amy for more info on my masterful tongue of ora....well, nevermind.

mullinz8 said...

I've always loved Charlie though I never enjoyed his tongue. I'm not an ear canal tongue exploration person.

Judy said...

Hey Diana,
I'm a sporadic visitor here and just came by to see what discussions you guys have been up to.
Whereabouts in Myrtle Beach are you? We have a fellowship church there, somewhere. My hubby and I go for marriage get-aways the church holds every year, though we can't make every one of them.

Your story saddened me and I really hope things get better. It's sad when the people who are supposed to be the most caring and closest to you are that way.

If you just continue to pray for them, eventually they'll come around. But, You need to put your foot down. Don't let them walk all over you. Ephesians 4:26 (NIV)says, "In your anger do not sin, Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry," which is why I believe in having a good, firm talk with such people. I mean, you have to deal with them, whether or not you want to. But, you need to make yourself understood. They need to know that you will no longer put up with their mess. Just because you're a Christian doesn't mean that you can let them do this to you.
Pray about it and face them. Be honest and open. Of course, they don't sound like logical individuals, but with God on your side, you should come out okay.
I know this may not be much consolation, but remember, you're not the only one going through this. Furthermore, you have the most wonderful comforter.

God bless and hope all goes well!
Yudelka