Sunday, September 11, 2005

Passing

My grandfather passed away this afternoon. I believe I have mentioned before that he had alzheimer's disease. Over the last year or so he has steadily gotten worse. My parents visited often, and each time they reported that his health had decreased.

During the last six weeks we began preparing for his death. His mental health had deteriorated to the point that he rarely knew who anyone was, or what he was doing. He began urinating on the couch and rugs. He slept most of the day, waking only to eat a little bit.

When I saw him last, a few weeks ago he was nothing like the grandfather I knew. He was frail and brittle. He was then sleeping in a hospital bed with a nurse coming in each day to take care of him.

A few days back he stopped eating or even drinking water. My folks left yesterday to visit him on what they expected to be his last few days. He died about 15 minutes after they arrived.

The funeral is Tuesday night. Please keep all of my family in your thoughts and prayers. Though this was expected, it will still not be easy.

7 comments:

@STEVEPMP said...

I am sorry for you loss.

bigsip said...

It's tough to lose a loved one, Brew. We'll keep you all in our prayers. Love you.

bigsip said...

Are y'all gonna be travelling down for the funeral? If so, please be safe.

tnmommieof2 said...

i'm so sorry brew....we'll be praying for you and your family. i love you bunches....

mullinz8 said...

the couple of times I met the man he was very nice and I know that he'll be missed by many. Be careful in your travels. If you need a bed roll call us. God bless you.

Diana said...

I'm really sorry, Mat. Charlie and I will pray for your family.
who's steve west?
Love, DI

JS said...

yes, with my granny (see one of the very first posts of this blog) i went to see her as well a few weeks before she passed... there sat a woman i had never met or seen before (in the physical sense) and mentally she was not even aware that life was happening around her... sad, i love you Brew, prayers are being sent upwards.