Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Other Night

We got home Monday night at about 9:30 PM. When we arrived, we noticed a car on our grass between this line of shrubs in our yard and the road that runs next to our house. We didn't think anything of it at first since lots of people park where they can in our neighborhood for get-togethers and stuff. Anyway, I also noticed that the sensor light in our carport didn't come on and the gate to our back yard was open. Rachel took Luke inside while I unloaded the van and I came in soon after. When I came back out to let the dogs in (after Rachel had already let them out) I saw that car speed off. This got me thinking, but I still didn't really understand what had happened till yesterday afternoon. When I got home from work yesterday, I noticed that there were scratches around the door where it looked like someone had tried to break into the shop attached to our carport. Then, it all made sense! The car, the open gate, the broken light, etc. The shed is an easy target and has some pretty nice tools in it, but our house thankfullly is well-lit, has double-keyed bolts, and a security system. But, it still scares me to think that there were robbers hiding in my back yard when we got home! I fixed the light and secured the shed, and I doubt they'll come back again. It just makes you feel insecure and violated! Let's all pray for each others' safety!

8 comments:

JS said...

was there any charcoal on your patio or a brick over turned with an exposed key to your house?

bigsip said...

LOL...no, thankfully. I will never forget that occurrence at Monticello. That is one of the reasons I make sure not to leave a key outside. Of course, we had no idea that key was under the brick when we lived in that apartment. Anyway, it is disconcerting. I'm just glad we didn't get hurt and nothing was stolen.

JS said...

need to barrow my gun?
one of the best anti-burgler signs I have ever seen in my life was a sticker that was on someones carport door (like the door in our carport.) In very plain, ordinary, quite polite english, it stated that the owner of this home has a gun, and will shoot you if you enter it. It was like 5 or 6 senteces long, and wasnt mean, but got the point across regaurdless of your level of reading

bigsip said...

Thanks, man. I have a gun, though. And I'm definitely not afraid to use it. I actually thought about making a sign, but I'm not sure it would really make a difference to a criminal. Maybe so. I plan on keep my gun more handy from now on, though. We should go somewhere and shoot sometime. I used to do target practice pretty often.

Mat Brewster said...

That's creepy Sip. Thank God no one was hurt. Realize you scared those creeps and they won't come back.

Be careful with those guns, boys.

JS said...

Oh, a suggestion that may comfort you for the next few weeks...

I would let your dogs wander the house a bit more openly when you guys are all gone from the house...

Even though your dogs are like cats, they are big, and if a crook sees them through the window, he is less likely to try to come in I would think...

Plus they MIGHT (big might with your dogs) bark.

Diana said...

That is soooo scarey. I bet Rach was freaked out. You guys have guns"? Geez. I can never picture Charlie with a gun. His sister has one, though. There was a murder/suicide in an apartment complex close to where we live. My dad called all freaked out to make sure it wasn't our neighbors.

Charlie said...

Oh, I have a gun...if you know what I mean.