Thursday, August 03, 2006

Waiting

Patience. Has anybody ever really had it? I am not a patient person- it's something I need to work on. Right now I am waiting for my second child to be born. Our first was induced at 38 weeks because we lived an hour away from the hospital. But now we live about 2 minutes from the hospital and we're waiting for labor to come on naturally.

About a week and a half ago, my doctor informed me that the baby could come "any time now," as I had started to dilate and the baby's head was engaged. That was at 37 weeks pregnant. So that's 3 weeks of maybe-todays. There's this weird mixture of hope and dread in waiting for labor to start. I'm basically feeling 3 things:

1) I can't wait to meet my son.
2) I want to get this over with and be myself again.
3) This is like being blindfolded and not knowing when you're inevitably going to get beat up. And don't try to tell me labor is not like getting beat up.

But is 3 weeks really that long in the scheme of things? This is the last pregnancy we plan to have. I need to enjoy these last days of having life inside me. It's amazing to feel a little foot or knee move across my belly. It's wonderful to feel when little Noah gets the hiccups and nobody knows but me.

I'm trying to keep myself busy, which is difficult because I don't get around well at this point. I've been instructed to take it easy for over a month now since I started having frequent Braxton-Hicks contractions. There's really only so much knitting and reading one can do! Also I'm constantly on the lookout for signs that labor is coming, and am frequently dissapointed to be wrong. Everyone I see wants to comment on the fact that I haven't had the baby yet. Really?! I hadn't noticed! It doesn't bother me a bit, but it does seem a little silly.

So I'm going to try to get through each day with happy anticipation instead of anxious frustration. Who knows, maybe it'll be today.

6 comments:

bigsip said...

Ugh, I feel this, too, but only an infinitecimal amount compared to you, my dear.

Everyone at work makes the "Not here yet, huh?" comment.

It's pretty freaking annoying.

But, I need to relax, too. I'm glad you posted this, honey.

Ryan F. said...

Just jump up and down. He'll get the picture and pop right out.

No, I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

So, can I be up for cheesy comment of the year award?

bigsip said...

Yes! I nominate Ryan for cheezy cliche of the year.

How about if I pick her up and shake her. Think he'll come out then?

Mat Brewster said...

It's not exactly waiting for a baby, but this waiting for my termination is rather awful as well. I just wish they'd give me a date, as I'm sure you wish youhad a date.

Good luck. God bless. Prayers go up often for you and your little one.

tnmommieof2 said...

I am thinking of you Rachel.


And yes, labor is like getting
beat up. Especially if you have a
lengthy laboring process. Hope
when the bundle of joy does decide
to come, it'll be fairly quick.

Isn't God amazing?

lilsip said...

Yes, God is amazing. Julie- it was an earlier comment you made that got me thinking about the waiting in a positive light, so thank you!

Jumping up and down isn't actually so far-fetched, you know! Walking is one of the main techniques for naturally inducing labor because it gets the baby going in the right direction- south!

Brew, I hate that you're under such stress right now. I hope you'll end up looking back and seeing the birth of a new and happier career. Prayers are going up for you guys.