Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Server Dude (revised edition)

I Love My New Job!


Call me a geek, call me what you will. But, I love it.

My first week involved running around meeting people, fixing things, playing with settings, messing around with new geek toys, figuring out where stuff was, and being surprised at some of the stuff that wasn't around. Jamison, you do have a pair of Cat-5 crimps at school right? The server room had none.

I even enjoy the people I work with. Maybe it's a honeymoon stage. But I'll give you a little insight. I prayed long and often for a particular blessing from God. I asked for his perfect timing and his wisdom in what was right for me. Specifically, I prayed to God with Luke 11:11-13 in mind:

If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!


I then prayed, "Father I don't want just any old bread. I want the good and delicious bread that only you could give." I can't tell you how many times I said this in my prayers, but I believe I was given that "good bread."

Before I started searching for a job, my prayer life barely existed. Sometimes, I'd pray because I'd wake up at night and feel guilty for not praying (I knew i could not sleep unless I did). I'd pray when there was something pressing on my mind, but rarely. Looking back, I'm not sure god heard those prayers. There wasn't a lot of trust below the words. They were empty, just words. Sometime during my job hunt, I began to trust God and His gifts. He never failed to give me an answer, when I truly wanted one. However, that was only after I began asking Him for a particular blessing unless I knew I really wanted it. I've begun to understand prayer and at times find myself talking to God as if He were sitting right there with me.

A couple times during the past several months, I had this feeling that I missed God like He had gone away. I'd reflect to realize, I was the one that wasn't talking to Him. I'd pray, and I wouldn't miss Him anymore. For the first time in my life, I don't feel like there's a void. It is completely amazing to realize that any time I need to talk He's right there, never leaving my side unless I need Him to lift me up.

Before I end I just want to say this. I did not intend to type what I typed in this post. I was going to just talk about my new job. But, the more I thought about how much I love it, the more convicted I became to write the words as I have.

Father, thank You for Your blessing. I love you, and thank you for your love for me. Amen.

4 comments:

bigsip said...

Good post, Chuck!

God is sitting there with you when you talk to Him, my friend. He's always there.

It's still amazing to see Him work so directly, though. Honestly, though, this is a very small thing in your life.

I remember seeing Him pull in my current job for me. Looking back, I'm as grateful and amazed as ever, but as I grow and pray for Rachel and Luke and Noah and so many other things in my life, I see God doing bigger and better things.

Those are the things you don't recognize for years; the prayers which don't seem to be answered until your sons marry the right people or finish school or have children of their own.

God is great!

Mat Brewster said...

Very cool post. Glad you like your job too!

JS said...

i envy you my friend... for one to love their job is a dream of most men.

For one to have prayers directly answered is as well.

mullinz8 said...

Chuck your words mean a lot to me. For the past several months I’ve been trying to pray “real” prayers that mean something. Just before my trip I began letting things get in front of my time of study and prayer, I noticed several times that I began to feel like a half full glass. I realized I was walking away from my friend and comforter.

I glad that you’ve found the path of truth in your walk and more importantly that you’re recognizing your new job is a gift and opportunity. The honeymoon will end in a few weeks and things might get ugly but God has given this to you for very specific reasons, namely because you asked and can have great success there.

Find a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.