Thursday, December 01, 2005

After-Thanksgiving fun


Fish heads fish heads... and tails... and guts... and bones...


The Saturday after Thanksgiving, Mark D invited me, my father-in-law (Brad) and Sip to fish at his wife's grandfathers pond deep in Elmore county.

I had fished there many times, so was ready to reel in the big ones. Due to their size the last time, Mark suggested we all bring coolers and keep some, to control the population as it seems the big ones are keeping all the smaller ones small, and making themselves only bigger.

Well, it was slow, naturally. Fishing is never really great in cold weather, but if you can hook one, you are doing good. I was disappointed honestly. I have fished that pond for over a year and never went 10 minutes without catching something. When it comes to fishing, I am not one of those people who say "I don't care if I don't catch anything, just being out on a boat is relaxing." Screw that crap, I want to catch fish!

Well, Josh and Mark were on one boat (with a trolling motor) and me and Brad were in another boat (with one paddle). I explained this to Brad before we left and he kept saying "You don't need a trolling motor for a pond." He changed his tune quickly when he learned that I was there to fish and not paddle. (He ended up giving me money for xmas, and said 'buy a trolling motor with this.") Oh, see the picture of Sip peeing next to the big tree. I couldn't resist taking that pic...



Anyway, Mark, using his secret weapon, (which isnt so secret because he uses it every time he fishes) started to reel them in. By the time he had 3 good sized bass, Josh had one too. I had none and Brad had none. Of course we both had about 4 that got away. When they jump out of the water, they would sling the hook out of their mouth. I guess we weren't setting the hook hard enough.

Anyway, the smack-talk started across the water. I would yell something to Mark and he would say "Sorry, I can't hear you due to all the fish flopping around in my cooler!" Or he would see us paddling and he would pat his trolling motor and say "$149 at Wal-mart baby!"

Well, I eventually reeled one in, nothing spectacular, maybe 2 pounds, but I was happy. Brad had no catches, so eventually we headed to the bank. As us 3 younger guys were putting all the bass in one cooler, and getting the boats ready to leave, Brad is fishing off the bank, and sure enough, hooks the 2nd biggest of the day (Mark pulled in the biggest) so he left happy.

But the best part was when we got home.

I had never fileted or cut up a fish. Brad had. We made a make-shift table in my driveway, pulled the fish out of the icey cooler and got to work. Brad taught me how to cut up the fish, so he fileted 3 and I fileted 3. I wasn't as gross as I thought it would be, since we didn't really "gut" the fish. The outside of a fish stinks, but the meat doesn't smell at all (Unless of course it is old.) The blood was minimal, or wasn't bothersome. And we got loads of meat off of them. 3 nights ago, I made a fish corn chowder that we like to make, only this time, I put bass meat in it. It was wonderful!

The feeling of having gone fishing, caught a fish, cut it up, then made a meal and ate the meal with the fish in it is wonderful.

11 comments:

bigsip said...

Bass is my favorite fresh water fish. Them's some good eatin'!

That chowder was phenomenal, man!

JS said...

i actually found the bass to be fine, but pretty tasteless...

bigsip said...

I had to add salt to the chowder. Bass has a very clean taste to me. It's not fishy.

I'll tell you one thing...I'd rather catch and clean and eat a bass any day over a catfish. Cleaning catfish is a truly disgusting, bloody experience.

JS said...

clean, thats the perfect word, it certainly isnt "fish".

we soaked the filets in salt water to get the blood out, but the needed-salt was the chowders fault, not the fish, i hardly put any in it.

JS said...

in my previous comment, fish = fishy, first paragraph

bigsip said...

HAHA...Yeah, I was gonna ask, "Then what is it?"

Whatever it is, it's good to me!

bigsip said...

I think this takes the prize for most disgusting post.

I like the pics of us holding fish, though!

Mat Brewster said...

Yuck dude, that first pick is nasty.

Mat Brewster said...

Good post thought.

JS said...

FYI, recently made fish tacos with the bass in my freezer... yummy!

to add a level of existentialism, i put in chopped up peppers that we grow in our back yard.

From the ground/pond to the dinner plate then to the toilet...hmmm, then to my septic tank which fertilizes my yard, which grows peppers, then back to my dinner plate... AHHH! I AM EATING MY OWN CRAP!!!

bigsip said...

It's the Circle of Crap! It moves us all...