Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Oven Spoonful


The pregnancy thing has set off a spending spree in our house.

We have spent the past year or so saving up for some much needed things around the house. When we learned we had a little one on the way, we decided the saving had to stop and the spending needed to start, otherwise, all that saved up cash will go to diapers and legos.

So the thing I have been dreading since we moved into our home 3 or 4 years ago happened:

New oven.

Why dread a new oven? We needed one, and new appliances are so fun to use! Well, because the old one needs to be moved out. The former owners were not the cleanest cooks in the world... I'd actually put them up there with the nastiest cooks in the world. When Larissa and I cook, I am right behind her if she drops an apple peel on the floor, I am an obsesivly clean cook. If I were cooking with these folks, I'd be in a straight jacket.

Boil overs must have been the norm. The sides of the over were caked with some sort of 6 year old yellow/red sauce, and the eyes on the oven were battered with all sorts of dried foods. I could see all sort of food between the coutner and the oven, but I was too afraid to look too long, much less pull the darn thing out and clean.

When the new oven came, I had no choice... Cheez-its, pepperment candies, the occational writing utinsel, dust bunnies of all shapes and sizes (one looked like Nixon), and dried liquids on the floor and the side of the cabinets... Twas gross. One good thing was that there wasn't one single bug back there. I was so certain I was going to see cockroaches run for cover when I moved the oven... yet I didn't even see one dead one, which gave me great comfort.

I dont know why I do this, but if I see something I hate or despise, I HAVE to take a picture of it. Which is why I have a folder on my computer full of spiders I have seen in the house.

So enjoy the before and after pics on this blog... and I encourage you to clean behind, under and the sides of your oven. At the very least go to Home Depot and buy the gaurds that prevent food from falling down there...

Please note; the clean pics are clean... you see stains on the floor, but thats just from the concrete that was poured, they are indelible stains, I assure you.

12 comments:

JS said...

...to say the least!

Diana said...

Jamison's on a roll with entertaining blogs!
Have I mentioned how excited I am about next week?

JS said...

thanks Di, im giving them all I got yet the crowd seems weak... everyone must be very busy this week...

lilsip said...

Hey Jamison, I'm halfway through HBP now!

JS said...

still not far enough for me to talk to you about stuff...

bought goblet of fire movie yesterday!

tnmommieof2 said...

looks good to me jamison...
and the hardwoods are beautiful!!

diapers are a GREAT thing to stock
up on..you'll be amazed on how many
you go thru...especially if larissa
nurses...that stuff goes straight
through them!!

we need a new dishwasher, but i'm
sure matt would say we didn't..
i don't know if you all know my new
nickname for him, but it's money
nazi....said with love of course...
we're just wanting to get all our
ducks in a row so we can stop renting and buy a house...

so i can understand the new regime
somewhat...but boy do i like to spend money!! lol!!

JS said...

thanks... those hardwoods are 12 years old... they were protected by the oven and all that dirt...

And go easy on Matt, he is only doing what he feels is best...

tnmommieof2 said...

oh i know...and besides...saving will only benefit us...

he knows i'm joking when i say it..

at least i hope he does.....

bigsip said...

It'll all be worth it once y'all get your own place.

Congrats on the pup!

Post a pic if you get a chance. Sounds like a cutie!

Ryan F. said...

Ahhhhh, moving the oven. When I bought my house I moved the oven to clean under it. I found a birthday check several years old and a brand new credit card, never activated, still attached to the paper it came on with the sticker on it giving the # to call & activate. You did a good job cleaning down there though.

JS said...

Thanks pal... I have been dreading it since day 1 of moving in... now i feel like i live in a new home.

bigsip said...

Modern day Beatitude:

Blesses are those who clean under the oven, for they shall obtain new houses.